Ducie Street Warehouse
Grid reference: SJ 848 979
A monumental railway warehouse, the only survivor of four warehouses in this part of Manchester. Erected in 1867 by the Manchester Sheffield & Leeds Railway. Seven storeys high its scale is emphasised by vertical pilasters and stone quoins. It has a fireproof structure of longitudinal wrought iron beams and transverse secondary beams under brick vaulting. Part of the Ashton Canal basin was filled in for its construction demonstrating the triumph of one transportation system over another.